English is the language of instruction at Harvard Extension School. If your native language is not English, you must provide proof of English proficiency to be enrolled in any Extension School course or to take the Test of Critical Reading and Writing Skills (CRWS).
Meeting the Requirement
To meet the English proficiency requirement, you must provide either a satisfactory transcript or a qualifying test score by the English proficiency deadline.
Submit a Satisfactory Transcript
Submit an official transcript, or a copy of an official transcript, showing completion of a high school diploma, an undergraduate degree (bachelor’s), or a graduate degree (master’s or PhD) at a school, college, or university at which English is the primary language of instruction.
- Transcripts must indicate completion of high school, a three- or four-year bachelor’s degree, or a graduate degree (master’s or PhD). Degrees in progress will not be considered.
- Transcripts must show at least one year of study and graduation from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction.
We do not accept diplomas alone as proof of English proficiency. Students who do not have a satisfactory transcript must meet the English proficiency requirement with a qualifying test score instead.
Submit a Qualifying Test Score
Provide the minimum approved score on one of the following English proficiency tests:
|Test||Minimum Approved Score||Cost||Approximate Time to Receive Test Results|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*||100 on the Internet-based TOEFL iBT, including the TOEFL iBT Home Edition||$157 – $360 USD**||4 – 8 days, plus delivery time if mailed|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic*||7.0, including the IELTS Academic Online Test||$180 – $250 USD**||5 – 13 days, plus delivery time if mailed|
|PTE Academic (PTEA)||70||$117 – $315 USD**||~5 days|
|Duolingo English Test (DET)||125||$59 USD||~2 days|
*Please note we do not accept the Institutional TOEFL (also known as the TOEFL ITP), MyBest TOEFL scores, IELTS General Training scores, the IELTS Indicator test, or the IELTS One Skill Retake as proof of English proficiency.
**Cost varies based upon exam location.
We suggest you take the test well before registration begins to ensure that your score is received by the English proficiency deadline.
Scores must be no more than two years old and verifiable with the testing agency.
How to Submit Documents
Submission of Transcripts
- Upload PDF copies of your transcripts in MyDCE using the “Document Uploader” icon located under your name at the top of your student portal.
- When uploading multiple transcripts, please combine PDFs and submit them together rather than submitting multiple PDFs.
- On the “Document Upload Form,” select “English Proficiency Transcript,” attach your document from your computer and click the “Submit” button. You will now see your document appear under the “Previously Submitted Documents” list with the date. Additionally, you will receive an email confirmation verifying your submission.
- Alternatively, have your school send your official transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission of Test Scores
- Upload a PDF copy of your score report in MyDCE using the “Document Uploader” icon located under your name at the top of your student portal.
- On the “Document Upload Form,” select “English Proficiency Test Score,” attach your document from your computer and click the “Submit” button. You will now see your document appear under the “Previously Submitted Documents” list with the date. Additionally, you will receive an email confirmation verifying your submission.
Reviewing Document Status
To view the status of documents submitted via the Document Uploader, click on the “Document Uploader” icon under your name at the top of your MyDCE home page to be directed to the “Document Upload Form.” There you can see an up-to-date view of previously submitted documents. Please read any instructions left on your document carefully.
To see if we’ve approved your official transcript or official score from a testing agency, log in to MyDCE and head to “My Tasks.” Your task to meet the English proficiency requirement will be marked as “Complete” when your documents have been reviewed and you have met the requirement.
Exceptions to the requirement
You do not need to submit proof of English proficiency if you are an admitted degree candidate at Harvard College, Harvard Extension School, or at a Harvard graduate or professional school, or have successfully completed the Harvard Summer School Pre-College or Secondary School Program. If you fall into one of the above categories, please email email@example.com to notify us of your status. All other individuals must meet the requirement.
Registration and Deadlines
You must meet the English proficiency requirement prior to registering for course(s). Therefore, we encourage you to submit documents before the start of registration.
You must also meet the English proficiency requirement before attempting the Test of Critical Reading and Writing Skills (CRWS) if you plan to register for a course with this prerequisite.
All transcripts and scores must be submitted by the following deadlines:
- Fall term:
- To take the CRWS test – Submit by August 10, 2023
- To register for classes – Submit by August 24, 2023
- January session:
- To take the CRWS test – Submit by November 22, 2023
- To register for classes – Submit by December 14, 2023
- Spring term:
- To take the CRWS test – Submit by December 14, 2023
- To register for classes – Submit by January 11, 2024
We cannot guarantee documents submitted after these dates will be reviewed in time to register for that term. Those documents would be considered for the following term.
Honesty in all communications, including self-representation of native language, is a requirement of student enrollment. The submission of fraudulent information is subject to review by the Administrative Board and may be grounds for disciplinary action. See Student Conduct for more information.
Considering an Extension School Degree Program?
Meeting the English proficiency requirement does not guarantee admission eligibility. Refer to Degree Program Admissions for more information.
Please contact Enrollment Services at (617) 495-4024 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.