Who is Eligible
Admission to the Premedical Program is selective. In evaluating your application, we attempt to be holistic and take many factors into consideration. These include, but are not limited to, experiences that indicate you are making an informed decision about your career choice and are capable of working to the academic standards of Harvard.
Although there is no minimum GPA, it is unlikely that applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 will be accepted.
Individualized credit requirement. Accepted students will be assigned a credit requirement between 20-32 credits, determined by the PMP staff based on your undergraduate overall & science GPA, and your previous level of science coursework.
This credit assignment reflects what we believe will be required to make you, given your unique background, the most competitive applicant for medical, dental or veterinary school.
These credits must be completed with a grade of B or higher to count toward completion of the program.
To be considered for the Premedical Program, you must:
- Have already completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Graduating college seniors are not eligible to apply. If you will earn your undergraduate degree in May 2022, for example, you’ll need to apply next year, February 2023.
- Be able to demonstrate achievement in your past academic pursuits and activities that demonstrate your interest in the healthcare field.
- Be in good academic and financial standing with Harvard University, with no disciplinary or administrative procedures pending (applies to current or former students only).
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident. We are not able to accept international students.
- Prove English proficiency. If your native language is not English and you have not earned a high school, bachelor’s, or graduate degree (master’s or doctorate) from a college or university in the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, or United Kingdom, you’ll need to submit a satisfactory English proficiency test score. Read more about the English Proficiency Requirement for Registration and review the list of acceptable exams and scores.
When to Apply
You should apply to the Premedical Program at least a year before applying to medical, dental or veterinary school.
We accept applications each year between February 1 and May 1.
How to Apply
A complete application includes the following:
- Online application. Beginning February 1, you can access the application portal through MyDCE by logging in using your Harvard Key or DCEKey, if you have one. Otherwise, please follow the instructions to create your MyDCE student account. Then click on the “Premed Pgm Application” icon under your name at the top of the home page. A nonrefundable $50 application processing fee is required to submit the application. The online application will close by end of day on May 1.
- Essay. The online application requires an essay of no more than 500 words addressing the following question: Why do you want to prepare for a career in the medical field?
- Résumé or CV. Upload a current résumé or CV to the online application that includes all your work experience, including volunteer jobs, with dates. Also include any research you have done or research positions you have held, with dates.
- Transcripts. We require that you send an official transcript from each college or university in which you have enrolled for credit, including those from which you have not earned a degree. Note: To be eligible to apply, your degree must be awarded, not pending. We accept electronic transcripts, but only if they are sent from the institution or the institution’s transcript service directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send transcripts to Harvard University because we will not receive them
- If you earned a degree outside the United States, you must have your official transcript(s) evaluated by the Center for Educational Documentation (CED) or International Education Evaluations (IEE), the only two agencies from which we will accept evaluations. The company should send an electronic copy of your general evaluation (CED) or Document Report (IEE) directly to the Premedical Program Office. See our guidelines for verifying international credits for more information.
Mailing Transcripts (if necessary)
If transcripts must be mailed via post because your college or university does not offer electronic delivery, please have them sent to: Premedical Program Office, Harvard Extension School, 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. Do not send transcripts to Harvard University Admissions because we will not receive them.
- Do not open envelopes addressed to you that contain official copies of documents. Mail them unopened in a larger envelope.
- All mailed materials must be received in the Premedical Program Office by the last date of the application cycle.
Materials are accepted in and processed by the office during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm Eastern Standard Time.
Applicants are informed of their acceptance to the program on a rolling basis through the online application portal, accessed by logging in to MyDCE and clicking on the Premed Pgm Application icon under the name and profile picture section of the home page. Successful applicants must accept or decline their offers by June 1; otherwise, their offers will be rescinded. All decisions are final but unsuccessful applicants are welcome to reapply in the next cycle.
Program or Application Questions?
Contact the Premedical Program Office at (617) 495-2926 or email@example.com.