English is the language of instruction at Harvard Extension School. If your native language is not English, you must provide designated proof of English proficiency to be enrolled in any Extension School course, unless you are an admitted degree candidate at Harvard College, Harvard Extension School, or at a Harvard graduate or professional school.
Meeting the Requirement
To meet the English proficiency requirement, you must provide one of the following satisfactory transcripts or qualifying test scores by the English proficiency deadline.
Submit a Satisfactory Transcript as Described Below
Submit an official transcript, or a copy of an official transcript, showing completion of a high school diploma, an undergraduate degree (bachelor’s), or a graduate degree (master’s or PhD) at a school, college, or university in the United States, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Singapore, at which English is the sole language of instruction.
- Transcripts must indicate completion of high school, a three- or four-year bachelor’s degree, or a graduate degree (master’s or PhD). Degrees in progress will not be considered.
- Transcripts must show at least one year of study and graduation from a campus physically located in one of the seven countries mentioned above.
- Transcripts from Singaporean secondary schools must indicate completion of the Singapore Integrated Programme (SIPCAL) with A-Level exams. IB Diplomas will not be considered.
- Transcripts from schools whose language of instruction is English but are not physically located in one of the seven approved countries are ineligible.
Students who do not have a satisfactory transcript must meet the English proficiency requirement with a satisfactory test score instead.
Submit a Qualifying Test Score
Provide the minimum approved score on one of the following English proficiency tests.
Take the test well before registration begins to ensure that your score is received by the English proficiency deadline.
Scores must be no more than two years old and verifiable, except for the Duolingo English Test, which must be no more than 1 year old.
|Test||Minimum Approved Score|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*||100 on the Internet-based TOEFL iBT, including the TOEFL iBT Home Edition|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Academic*||7.0|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA)||70|
|Duolingo English Test (DET)||125|
*Please note we do not accept the Institutional TOEFL (also known as the TOEFL ITP), MyBest TOEFL scores, IELTS General Training scores, or the IELTS Indicator test as proof of English proficiency.
Students who do not currently have a satisfactory transcript or a valid, qualifying test score must take one of the aforementioned tests and submit a qualifying test score in order to register for Harvard Extension School courses or to take the CRWS test.
Submission of Documents
Submission of Transcripts
- Upload copies of your transcripts in MyDCE using the “Document Uploader” icon under your name at the top to be redirected to Online Services. From Online Services, select “Document Management” from the main menu and upload your document to “English Proficiency Documents.”
- When uploading multiple transcripts, please combine PDFs and submit them together rather than submitting multiple PDFs.
- Have your school send your official transcript to email@example.com
Please note, we are not able to review paper transcripts delivered to us via mail or courier at the moment. Transcripts should be submitted electronically.
Submission of Test Scores
- Have your official score sent electronically to the Harvard Extension School Office of Enrollment Management. For the TOEFL, use institution code: 3458. The other tests do not require a specific code.
- You may also upload a PDF copy of your score report in MyDCE using the “Document Uploader” icon to be redirected to our retiring student platform, Online Services. From Online Services, select “Document Management” from the main menu and upload your document to “English Proficiency Documents.”
Reviewing Document Status
To view the status of documents submitted via the Document Uploader, click on the “Document Uploader” icon under your name at the top of your MyDCE home page to be redirected to our retiring student platform, Online Services. From Online Services, select “Document Management” from the main menu and then click on “List Documents.” Please read any instructions left on your document carefully.
Official Transcripts Sent From Your School
To see if we’ve received your official transcript from your school, log in to MyDCE and head to “My Enrollment Requirements” from the 3 horizontal lines in the top left of your dashboard next to the Harvard shield. From the English Proficiency section, click on “English Proficiency Info and Status” to take you to our retiring student platform, Online Services. From Online Services’ main menu, click on “English Proficiency Info and Status” and scroll down to the section titled “Your English Proficiency Status” for status updates.
Test Scores (TOEFL, IELTS, and Pearson)
To see if we have received your score, log in to MyDCE and head to “My Enrollment Requirements” from the 3 horizontal lines in the top left of your dashboard next to the Harvard shield. From the English Proficiency section, click on “English Proficiency Info and Status” to take you to our retiring student platform, Online Services. From Online Services’ main menu, mouse over “Placement Tests” and click on “View Placement Test Scores.”
If your score has been received and posted by the Office of Enrollment Management, you will see an option for “English Proficiency Tests” after selecting “View Placement Test Scores.” Note that if you sent your score to another office it may not appear here.
To see if we have processed your Duolingo score, please check the Document Uploader instead.
Registration and Deadlines
You must meet the English proficiency requirement prior to registering for course(s). Therefore, we encourage you to submit documents before the start of registration.
You must also meet the English proficiency requirement before attempting the Test of Critical Reading and Writing Skills (CRWS) if you plan to register for a course with this prerequisite.
All transcripts and scores must be submitted by the following deadlines:
- Fall term: August 19, 2021
- January session: December 16, 2021
- Spring term: January 13, 2022
Honesty in all communications, including self-representation of native language, is a requirement of student enrollment. Submission of fraudulent information is subject to review by the Administrative Board and may be grounds for disciplinary action. See Student Conduct for more information.
Considering an Extension School Degree Program?
Meeting the English proficiency requirement does not guarantee admission eligibility. Refer to Degree Program Admissions for more information.
Please contact Enrollment Services at (617) 495-4024 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.