What You'll Learn
- Understanding of important museum management practices, such as leadership, financial management, organizational behavior, or resource development.
- Vital insight into facets of visitor experience and exhibits, including curation, conservation, collection management, and design.
- Knowledge of museum-focused topics, such as exhibition development and design, visitor engagement, museum law, or technology.
Our Community at a Glance
You and your peers will make connections and find new possibilities in order to keep museum operations smooth, collections relevant, and visitors inspired.
Applied Certificate to ALM Degree
Working Full Time
Would Recommend Certificate
Earning Your Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete 16 certificate credits at the graduate level.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
Apply active learning weekends to your museum studies certificate: Enrolling in any two 2-credit museum studies active learning weekend courses––in place of a 4-credit course––may count towards earning the museum studies graduate certificate. Approval is required before pursuing this option. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The professional graduate certificate in museum studies requires four courses or 16 credits.
You may choose any four courses from the museum studies certificate course group, using the certificate course search.
Ready to take the next step?
You can enroll in your first course in the:
See the schedules in the academic calendar.
Search For Courses
To find certificate courses in the DCE Course Search and Registration Platform:
- Under Search Classes, scroll to Harvard Extension Degree, Certificate, and Premedical Course Search.
- Select Graduate Certificates.
- Choose Museum Studies Graduate Certificate to explore program courses.
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2022–23 rate)||$3,100 per 4-credit course ($775 per credit)|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$12,400|