What You'll Learn
Through the master’s degree in the field of global development practice you:
- Develop a holistic understanding of human health risks, ecological system dynamics, technological innovations, and financial models to advance sustainable development.
- Identify and challenge assumptions, seek alternatives, determine solutions, and engage organizations to think differently.
- Leverage local knowledge through global practice.
- Learn with and from a global network of development professionals.
- Earn an optional certificate in environmental policy and international development, health and society, international relations, social justice, sustainable cities and communities, or sustainable food systems.
Harvard Extension School is a member of the Global Association of Master in Development Practice and meets the Association’s standard of core development practice competencies.
Your Harvard Degree
Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Global Development Practice.
Getting Started: Admissions and Degree Requirements
At Harvard Extension School, your admission is based largely on your performance in two specific Harvard Extension courses that you complete before submitting an application.
To get started, we invite you to explore degree requirements, confirm your initial eligibility, and learn more about our unique “earn your way in” admissions process.
Our Community at a Glance
Through our learner-centered approach, students define problems, engage with stakeholders, evaluate evidence, determine priorities of action, and deliver an implementable plan.
Average Courses Taken Each Semester
Work Full Time
Would Recommend the Program
Professional Experience in the Field
Pursuing for Career Change
After earning my degree, I became more qualified for the kind of jobs I wanted to be doing in the next phase of my career. It also allowed me to move more freely across the different thematic issues under the sustainable development framework, which I couldn’t do before.
Cost and Financial Aid
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2022–23 rate)||$3,100 per 4-credit course ($775 per credit)|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$37,200|
After admission, you may qualify for financial aid. Typically, eligible students receive grant funds to cover a portion of tuition costs each term, in addition to federal financial aid options.