What You'll Learn
- Understand how basic human physical, social, and psychological needs are currently addressed in urban and rural communities.
- Evaluate and compare the sustainability of communities in meeting human needs in the areas of food, water, energy, and integration of green spaces.
- Assess the ability of cities to maintain sustainable systems for transportation, safety, waste management, inclusion and accessibility, education, and disaster risk reduction.
- Understand the basic principles of sustainable planning and building, and identify opportunities for more sustainable and inclusive communities.
- Lead effectively in a variety of organizational contexts using participatory decision-making and governance principles.
Our Community at a Glance
You will learn to evaluate and design practices, technologies, and systems that bring sustainable solutions to communities and cities.
Working Full Time
Students Outside the U.S.
Average Time to Complete
Earning Your Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete the four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in Sustainable Cities and Communities requires four courses or 16 credits. You may choose from the following course groups, using the certificate course search.
- Certificate core courses (choose at least 2 courses; you may select up to 4 courses)
- Certificate electives (you may select up to 2 courses; however, elective courses are not required for this certificate)
Ready to take the next step?
You can enroll in your first course in the:
See the schedules in the academic calendar.
Search For Courses
To find courses that apply toward the certificate use DCE Course Search and Registration:
- Under Search Classes, scroll to Harvard Extension Degree, Certificate, and Premedical Course Search.
- Select Graduate Certificates.
- Choose Sustainable Cities and Communities Graduate Certificate to explore program courses.
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2022–23 rate)||$3,100 per 4-credit course ($775 per credit)|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$12,400|