What You'll Learn
- Develop approaches to modify current practices to conserve, protect, and enhance natural resources. Find new strategies to protect and improve rural livelihoods, equity, and social well-being.
- Learn methods to improve efficiency in the use of resources crucial to sustainable agriculture.
- Create robust business models throughout the food supply chain.
- Learn to leverage urban environments to produce and distribute locally sourced food.
- Evaluate governance mechanisms to responsibly and effectively transition to sustainable food production through private and public sector initiatives.
- Immerse yourself in curriculum aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Our Community at a Glance
Surrounded by a diverse group of peers and faculty, you will discover issues of food sustainability through the lens of agroecology, biology, anthropology, environmental studies, economics, and nutrition.
Working Full Time
Students Outside the U.S.
Average Time to Complete
Earning Your Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete the four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in sustainable food systems requires four courses, or 16 credits.
You may choose from the following course groups, using the certificate course search.
- Certificate core courses (choose at least 2 courses; you may select up to 4 courses)
- Certificate electives (you may select up to 2 courses; however, elective courses are not required for this certificate)
Courses taken before the 2018-2019 academic year do not apply toward this certificate.
Ready to take the next step?
You can enroll in your first course in the:
See the schedules in the academic calendar.
Search For Courses
To find courses that apply toward the certificate use DCE Course Search and Registration:
- Under Search Classes, scroll to Browse by Degree, Certificate, or Premedical Program.
- Select Graduate Certificates.
- Choose Sustainable Food Systems Graduate Certificate to explore program courses.
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2022–23 rate)||$3,100 per 4-credit course ($775 per credit)|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$12,400|