Skip to content

In accordance with Federal Consumer Information regulations, the following information is available to current and prospective students at Harvard Extension School. Because of the nature of federal, state, and institutional guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained on this website is subject to change. Please contact Student Financial Services with any questions:

Harvard Extension School
Student Financial Services
51 Brattle Street
Cambridge MA 02138
(617) 495-4293

Institutional Information

Accreditation and Institutional Research

Harvard Extension School is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (formerly the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.). Extension School courses are approved each year by Harvard’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences and count toward the Harvard degrees of Associate in Arts in Extension Studies (not accepting new students), Bachelor of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies, and Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies. For more information consult Harvard’s Office of Institutional Research website.

Instructional, Laboratory, and Other Physical Plant Facilities Associated with Academic Programs

The University Information Systems (UIS) maintains a complete list of all Harvard buildings available.

Facilities and Services for Students with Disabilities

The Extension School is committed to providing an accessible academic community. The accessibility services office offers a variety of accommodations and services to students with documented disabilities, permanent and temporary injuries, and chronic conditions

Cross Registration and Transfer Policy

Undergraduate policy: Read our Undergraduate Transfer Credit policy.

Graduate policy: No credit may be transferred from other colleges and universities, nor is any credit given for related work or military experience.

Enrollment in a study abroad program: You may be eligible to use federal loans and grants, state scholarships, and private education loans to pay education expenses at another school or for a study abroad program

Degree Programs, Training, and Other Education

For guidelines, refer to our academic programs.

Plans for Improving Academic Programs

Refer to the University Provost website.

General Policies and Federal Requirements

FERPA Compliance and FERPA Blocks

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) protects the privacy of student records. In addition to the normal protections provided by this law, students may specifically request an additional level of privacy called a FERPA Block. Read more about FERPA and FERPA Blocks.

Policies and Sanctions Related to Copyright Infringement

Refer to the following Harvard policies:


Students may access textbook information for Extension School courses by searching for Extension courses on the Harvard Coop website.

Constitution Day

Constitution Day is September 17. Harvard University observes this day by holding a university-wide event. Learn more about Constitution Day.

Harvard University Student Code of Conduct

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) requires that institutions participating in the federal student loan programs develop, publish, and enforce a code of conduct with respect to students loans. The Harvard University Student Loan Code of Conduct is available from the Harvard University Student Financial Services website.

Graduation Rates

See the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) College Navigator website.

Placement of and Types of Employment Obtained by Extension School Graduates

See the Office of Career Services website.

Consumer Information for Student Athletes

The Extension School does not offer athletics.

Voter Registration

Information on voter registration in Massachusetts is available through the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Information Security

Harvard has developed this Enterprise Information Security Policy to ensure that Harvard’s technical resources are properly protected, that the integrity and privacy of confidential information is maintained, that information resources are available when they are needed, and that users of these resources understand their responsibilities.

Student Inquiries and Complaints

The Financial Aid Offices at Harvard make every attempt to resolve student complaints promptly. If you feel the situation was not resolved appropriately you may contact the Harvard Ombuds Office, the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education or the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group.

Costs and Financial Aid Policies

Cost of Attendance

The total cost of attending Harvard Extension School includes tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, applicable transportation costs, and any additional costs.

Applying for Aid and Determining Eligibility

Detailed information about our financial aid application and eligibility can be found on our website.

Disbursement of Financial Aid

Information about when and how financial aid will be disbursed can be found on our website. Note enrolled Extension School students who receive federal student financial assistance that exceeds their billed charges for tuition and fees each semester are eligible to receive an advance in anticipation of their excess funds. Eligible Pell recipients will be sent an email notification from Student Financial Services. An advance check for Pell recipients will automatically be issued unless the student chooses to opt out.

Terms and Conditions for Federal Direct Loans

The Extension School participates in the following Federal Direct Loan Programs:

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

Terms, Schedules, the Necessity of Loan Repayment, and Required Loan Entrance/Exit Counseling

Information regarding required loan entrance and exit counseling for current students and loan repayment and deferment can be found on our website.

Need-Based and Non-Need-Based State and Local Aid Programs, School AId Programs, and Other Private Aid Programs

Terms and Conditions of Any Employment that Is Part of a Financial Aid Package

The Extension School does not offer employment as part of a financial aid package.

Criteria for Measuring Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy for federal financial aid eligibility, including how a student who has failed to maintain SAP may reestablish eligibility for federal aid, is outlined in the Eligibility section of our website.

Return to Title Four (R2T4) Compliance and Student Aid Refund Policy

The requirements for the return of federal student aid funds when a student withdraws can be found in our Withdrawal from School (Return to Title IV) and Student Refund policies.

Terms and Conditions Under Which Students Receiving Federal Loans May Obtain Deferments

Review information about loan repayment and deferment and enrollment verification for loan deferments.

Campus Safety and Security

Prevention of Drug and Alcohol Abuse

Visit the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) Substance Abuse website.

Campus Security Statistics and Security Policies

The University supplies a number of resources to help students understand campus security statistics and polices:

  • HES Campus Safety
  • Campus Security Statistics, as required under the Clery Act, are available at the Harvard University Police Department website
  • HUPD’s Guide to Security Polices and Safety Tips: Annual Security Report
    A hard copy of the Annual Security Report may be obtained by contacting the Harvard University Police Department at 1033 Massachusetts Avenue, 6th floor, Cambridge, MA 02138, (617) 495-9225.

Harvard University’s Fire Safety Report

Fire safety information can be found on the Harvard University Operations Services Health & Safety website.

Harvard Vaccination Policy

Vaccination information and policies can be found on the Harvard University Health Services and HES Policies websites.

Missing Persons Procedures

As required under federal law, all Harvard Schools immediately will refer to the Harvard University Police Department any missing persons report involving a student who lives in on-campus housing.

Emergency Response and Evacuation Procedures

Refer to the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) website: emergency communications and evacuations.