Skip to content

Covid updates. The bivalent COVID-19 booster is required for on-campus presence.

Refund Policies and Methods

Students with credit balances on their student account may be eligible for a refund as a credit to a checking account or credit card from which a payment was recently made.

Please note that Harvard is not responsible for fluctuations in international exchange rates or interest charges due to the timing of credit card refunds.

TAP fees are non-refundable.

Refund by Credit Card

Credit card refunds are issued when the amount of the credit balance is equal to or less than the total amount of credit card payments. 

  • Credit card refunds are processed to the card most recently used up to the amount charged on that particular card, regardless of term. If a credit balance remains after the initial credit card refund, the next most recently used card will be refunded, up to the amount paid. See below for additional information on check refunds.

Refunds by Check or E-Check

Check refunds are issued when you paid by check, money order, bank check, wire or similar form of payment, or if you have a credit balance due that exceeds the amount paid by credit card.

  • If you pay by electronic, personal or company check and have a credit balance, a refund will be processed after 14 business days, to allow your check payment to clear the bank. You may log in to MyDCE to view the original check processing date.

Electronic Refunds, eRefunds (Direct Deposit)

The preferred method for check refunds is by direct deposit electronic refunds (eRefunds). eRefunds are deposited into your bank account within five business days after your refund is processed from your student account.

  • If you have a U.S. checking account you may enroll in eRefunds by creating an eRefunds profile through the MyDCE student finance portal. 
  • eRefunds is the most secure and quickest method to receive your check refund. Note: you must create your eRefund profile in advance of your refund being processed on your student account before your refund can be direct deposited into your to your U.S. checking account.
  • If you do not create an eRefund profile or you do not have a U.S. checking account, any refund will be made by paper check, payable to you, the student, and mailed to the current mailing address on record. You must notify the school of any address changes either via MyDCE or in writing by submitting the Biographical and Contact Information Form to ensure correct delivery of refund checks.

Timing of Refunds

The timing of refund processing is based on the type of credit balance on your account and the date of the credit balance. Refunds are processed on an on-going basis.

Course Change Refunds

The amount refunded for course changes and drops depends on the date of the change. See the Calendar for important dates and deadlines. You should keep documentation of all changes for your records.

Financial Aid Refunds

Students with financial aid in excess of tuition and fees should see How Aid is Disbursed for information on the timing of financial aid disbursements and refunds.