Skip to content

Request a Transcript or Enrollment Certification

Harvard DCE Transcripts

The Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) transcript is your complete, official Division of Continuing Education academic record. It includes all credit and noncredit courses you have completed at the Harvard Extension School and Harvard Summer School, course grades, and withdrawal and disciplinary notations. Courses in progress will not display on an official transcript until after the respective grade release date for the term. Transcripts for degree and diploma candidates also include relevant degree and diploma information. Professional certificates are noted on transcripts. Harvard Division of Continuing Education Professional & Executive Development programs do not appear on transcripts.

Official transcripts include the DCE Registrar’s seal and signature. Students may request a transcript sent to a third party directly or to themselves. Students must place a transcript request through one of the approved and supported platforms. Requests received via email or phone are not considered official requests and will not be filled.

E-Transcript requests sent directly to a third party are sent via email and secure Parchment delivery. Paper transcript requests that are mailed are considered official if they are received in a sealed envelope. Students should confirm the official transcript standards of the recipient before assuming if an open or forwarded e-transcript is considered official.

Official transcripts are not issued for any students who have not met their financial and library obligations to Harvard University. Students may view final grades in MyDCE by selecting “My Academic History” and following the prompts to view final official course grades, notations, and potential transcript impacting holds.

For more information on final grades, including non-completion course notations, please see Grades.

Transcript Requests

Harvard DCE is now partnering with Parchment Credentialing Services to provide students and alumni a fast and secure manner to order transcripts. Starting on Wednesday, December 1, 2021, students can use the Parchment Storefront to request an official e-Transcript sent via email in addition to a paper transcript request via postal or expedited mailing services. There is a $3.00 processing fee per transcript request.

Placing a Transcript Request in MyDCE

  1. Login to MyDCE.
  2. Click the three horizontal bars in the top-left to open the side menu.
  3. Choose the “My Academic History” option.
  4. Select “Request a Transcript” to navigate securely to Parchment.
  5. If this is your first time in Parchment, provide contact information for your Parchment account, then confirm to go to Parchment Home.
  6. Students can return to Parchment via the MyDCE dashboard at anytime to track a request or place a new transcript request.

To place an official transcript request in the Parchment Storefront:

  1. Enter your destination in the search field or select “send to yourself, someone else, or a third party.”
  2. Select the type of transcript you wish to send (paper/mailed or electronic/emailed).
  3. Enter the recipient information for the transcript request and upload any additional documents to include with the transcript delivery.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 to add any additional transcript requests to the order.
  5. When ready to submit the request(s), navigate to the shopping cart.
  6. Select “Checkout,” review the FERPA release statement, then continue to enter payment information.
  7. Confirm the details of your order including recipient, recipient address (email or mail) and payment information.
  8. Submit the transcript request.

You will receive a confirmation when the transcript request is submitted. Track a pending request by returning to the Parchment storefront and selecting “Order Status” from the menu options. You will receive additional notifications via email if there is a hold on your transcript or any processing delay.

Once your request is processed and submitted to the recipient, you will see the status change and receive an email notification. E-Transcripts can be accessed by the recipient for 30 days from the date it becomes available. If the recipient does not access the transcript during that time, the request is considered complete and fulfilled. You will have to place a new request if the e-Transcript is not accessed by the recipient in the allotted time.

The $3.00 transcript processing fee will be charged by the Parchment storefront only after the official transcript is delivered. You will see a hold on your credit card while the request is being processed. Requests that are not processed within 30 days or a request that is cancelled by the student before it is available to the recipient will not be charged the processing fee. The most likely reason a transcript is not processed within 2-4 business days is due to a transcript impacting hold.

Placing a Transcript Request without a HarvardKey or DCEKey

Alumni or previous course takers who do not have a HarvardKey or DCEKey and do not have access to the MyDCE student portal may still request an official transcript directly through the Parchment storefront. Note – students that can access the transcript portal through MyDCE must do so.

Students without a HarvardKey or DCEKey can navigate directly to the Parchment Storefront and create a Parchment account for access to request their Harvard Division of Continuing Education transcript:

  1. Go directly to the Harvard DCE Parchment Homepage.
  2. Select “I need to order my own credentials” and continue.
  3. Follow the instructions on the Harvard DCE Parchment storefront home page to “create account.”
  4. If this is your first time in Parchment, provide the requested information to create the Parchment Account directly.
  5. Once a Parchment account is created, students without a HarvardKey can return and use the “returning users” to login directly to their Parchment account.

Once the Parchment account is created, follow the steps above to place, track, and review Harvard DCE transcript requests. Alumni or previous course-takers without a HarvardKey will only need to create one Parchment account. Students who do not have HarvardKey credentials can contact Academic Services to reset the Parchment Account password if necessary.

Students who have a HarvardKey or DCEKey should always follow the prompts to access Parchment through the secure Harvard authentication or through the “My Academic History” page in MyDCE.

Hague Apostille

A certification or legalization is generally needed for US documents that leave the United States for recognition in the country of intended use. International students and US students living, working, and studying outside the United States may need to have their transcripts and diplomas authenticated by a designated federal authority. This authentication takes the form of a certification called an apostille as approved by the 1961 Hague Convention.

To obtain the apostille, submit a request for a notarized copy of your transcript. The notarized copy is issued to you in a signed, sealed envelope. Bring the notarized document to the Commissions Section, Room 1719, McCormack Building, 1 Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108 for certification and the apostille. Or mail the necessary documentation to the above address. For more information about the documents and information needed, as well as fees for each certification and apostille, see Certifications and Apostilles on the Secretary of the Commonwealth website.

The Extension School does not notarize diplomas. Instead, the Academic Services Office writes a letter verifying the degree and includes the following information in the letter as appropriate: the student’s name; degree, certificate, or diploma received; date of receipt; area of concentration; field of study; honors. The letter is signed by the associate registrar for Academic Services or the assistant registrar for Academic Services.

Letters of enrollment

A letter of enrollment includes a listing of courses in which you are registered for the term. It does not include grades. You may request a letter of enrollment for any term in the current year by completing a letter of enrollment request form.

Letter of Enrollment request forms can be submitted via email to Academic Services at All requests must be made in writing. Telephone and email requests are not accepted.

Academic Services reserves the right to limit the number of letters per request. Letters of enrollment are not issued if you have not met your financial and library obligations to Harvard University, or if you have pending disciplinary or administrative proceedings.

Requests may be submitted throughout the term but are not processed until after the course drop deadline for half-tuition refund each term. See the Academic Calendar to view the final drop deadline in each term.

Degree Verification

Students and third parties may request degree or enrollment verification via email by writing to Such disclosures are limited to directory level information permitted under FERPA

Loan deferments

Harvard Extension School is a participant in the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC), which provides electronic deferment processing for students. The Extension School transfers enrollment data of its students to the Clearinghouse after the course drop deadline for half-tuition refund each term and monthly thereafter. See the Academic Calendar to view the drop deadlines for each term.

The Clearinghouse electronically supplies verification of enrollment information to participating lending agencies. You do not need to be an admitted degree candidate in order to qualify for loan deferment. See Enrollment Polices for detailed information on full- and part-time enrollment status. To ensure that information is reported accurately to the National Student Clearinghouse, students must verify their personal information when registering for a course. Changes in identifying information, such as name, birthdate, or SSN/TIN, should be updated with the Registrar’s Office as soon as possible.

All guarantors and most major student loan lenders and servicers (including servicers for Perkins, private/alternative, and institutional loans), as well as the Department of Education, participate in the Clearinghouse.

If your loan company does not participate in the paperless deferment process, contact your lender and servicer directly to obtain a deferment form. Academic Services will process the form and mail it directly to the loan agency on your behalf.