What You'll Learn
- Build a foundation in computer science and the art of programming through use of algorithms, data structures, string manipulation, encapsulation, resource management, security, software engineering, and web development.
- Gain knowledge of fundamental data structures for information processing, including lists, stacks, queues, trees, and graphs.
- Become proficient in a focused topic area, such as C, Unix/Linux programming, web interfaces, Microsoft .NET programming, and database systems.
Our Community at a Glance
Going back to school doesn’t have to mean putting your life on hold.
We’ve designed our courses and certificates to give you the flexibility to pace your studies to fit your schedule.
Working Full Time
Students Outside the U.S.
Average Time to Complete
The professional graduate certificate in Programming requires four courses.
You may choose one of the following certificate course tracks:
CSCI E-50 Track
- CSCI E-50 Intensive Introduction to Computer Science (one 4-credit course)
- Data Structures (one course)
- Electives (choose any two courses from select group)
CSCI E-10AB Track
- CSCI E-10A Introduction to Computer Science Using Java I (required course)
- CSCI E-10B Introduction to Computer Science Using Java II (required course)
- CSCI E-22 Data Structures (required course)
- Elective (choose one course from select group)
Who Should Pursue the Programming Certificate
This certificate is designed for students with little or no prior knowledge in computer programming and language. You are encouraged to begin your study with CSCI E-10A or CSCI E-50, depending on the certificate track you choose.
If you are interested in pursuing a master’s in Systems Engineering or Computer Science, you may find that this certificate serves as a helpful introduction. While many courses for this certificate do not apply toward these degrees, they do provide the foundational knowledge needed to succeed in these programs.
Search for Courses
You can browse courses by term — fall, spring, or summer — in the DCE Course Search & Registration platform.
Earning Your Certificate
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2023–24 rate)||$3,220 per course|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$12,880|