What You'll Learn
Through the master’s degree in the field of English you build:
- The ability to identify topics and develop questions that lead to meaningful scholarly inquiry.
- An enhanced knowledge of the philosophical, historical, and cultural forces that shape literary works.
- A deeper understanding of the work that literary scholars do.
- The skills required for communicating your ideas and entering a critical conversation.
- Earn an optional graduate certificate in American literature and culture.
Your Harvard Degree
Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: English.
Your peers from the field of English work in a variety of writing, research, and communication-intensive industries, such as fundraising, publishing, advertising/marketing, and education (secondary and higher education).
Courses Taken Each Semester
Work Full Time
Would Recommend the Program
Pursued For Personal Enrichment
Degree Requirements and Admissions
At Harvard Extension School, your admission is based largely on your performance in three specific Harvard Extension courses that you complete before submitting an application.
To get started, we invite you to explore degree requirements, confirm your initial eligibility, and learn more about our unique “earn your way in” admissions process.
Cost and Financial Aid
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2021–22 rate)||$2,980 per 4-credit course|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$35,760|
After admission, you may qualify for financial aid. Typically, eligible students receive grant funds to cover a portion of tuition costs each term, in addition to federal financial aid options.