Congratulations on your recent or upcoming graduation! The Class of 2023 Harvard Extension School Commencement Ceremony will be held on campus in Cambridge on Thursday, May 25, 2023.
Bookmark this page for the latest information regarding Commencement 2023!
Keep your preferred student email address updated in your MyDCE profile so you do not miss important messages about Commencement!
Schedule of Commencement Events
|Monday, May 22, 2023||9:00 AM – 11: 00 AM||Affinity Celebration Honoring Graduates with Disabilities, Harvard Business School|
|11:30 AM||Affinity Celebration Honoring Indigenous Graduates|
|2:00 PM – 4:00 PM||Affinity Celebration Honoring First Gen Next Gen Graduates, Sever Quad|
|5:30 PM – 7:30 PM||Affinity Celebration Honoring Asian, Asian American, Pacific Islander, Desi-American Graduates, Sever Quad|
|Tuesday, May 23, 2023||9:00 AM – 11:00 AM||Affinity Celebration Honoring Black Graduates, Sever Quad|
|1:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Lavender Celebration Honoring LGBTQ+ Graduates, Harvard Divinity School|
|4:00 PM – 6:00 PM||Affinity Celebration Honoring Latinx Graduates, Sever Quad|
|4:00 PM – 7:00 PM||Affinity Celebration Honoring Arab Graduates, Memorial Church – Register using this link|
|Wednesday, May 24, 2023||9:00 AM||Class of 2023 HES Class Photo, Widener Library Steps|
|11:00 AM||Farewell Celebration with Alumni Speaker, Location TBD|
|Thursday, May 25, 2023||Commencement Day|
Harvard’s Commencement Day involves two events: the University-wide Morning Exercises in Harvard Yard followed by the Harvard Extension School Commencement Ceremony.
The Harvard University Morning Exercises will take place in Harvard Yard. Bookmark the Harvard University Commencement website and check back regularly for updates.
University Morning Exercises
|Time & Location||Notes|
|6:15 AM – 12:15 PM |
|See the Commencement Day Timeline Section for details.|
Harvard Extension School Commencement Ceremony
|Time & Location||Notes|
|1:00 PM – 3:00 PM |
Harvard Museum of Natural History Courtyard
|See the Commencement Day Timeline Section for details.|
Commencement Day Timeline
- For graduates, the day will begin at approximately 6:15 AM at the Harvard Museum of Natural History Courtyard (26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138). Advising staff will greet you with a continental breakfast and festive music.
- Important: Harvard Yard gates open for all guests at 6:45 AM. Note, a ticket does not guarantee a seat.
- Shortly after 7 AM, we will line up to process as a group to Harvard Yard for the Morning Exercises. During the Morning Exercises, graduates will be seated together by school in Tercentenary Theatre for the duration of the ceremony, which is expected to begin at 9:30 AM and conclude at approximately 12:15 PM.
- For additional details about the Morning Exercises, please see the Events Schedule on the Harvard University Commencement Office website.
- Immediately following the Morning Exercises, you and your guests will proceed directly to the Museum of Natural History courtyard to the HES Commencement Ceremony honoring the class of 2023. You will hear from speakers and be individually recognized as you walk across the stage.
Pre-registered Regalia ordering is now closed.
To participate in the in-person Commencement ceremonies, graduates are required to wear official Harvard Regalia. The deadline to order regalia online from the Harvard Coop was Saturday, April 8, 2023.
Regalia Pick-Up Information:
- You will need your Harvard University ID (HUID), or a government issued photo ID to pick up your regalia.
- Pick-Up Hours & Address: The Harvard Square Coop
- Thursday, May 18 to Saturday, May 20: 10 AM to 8 PM
- Sunday, May 21: 10 AM to 6 PM
- Monday, May 22 to Wednesday, May 24: 10 AM to 8 PM
- Thursday, May 25: Commencement, the Coop will open at 6:45 AM for pick-up
- Regalia orders for unopened, and unworn regalia are fully refundable up to Commencement day.
- Regalia must be returned to the Harvard Coop by Friday, June 9.
If you missed the order deadline: extra sets of regalia will be available for in-person pick-up at the Harvard Coop (Harvard Square location) between May 18-May 25 during regular pick-up hours. Advanced reservations and pre-payment will not be accepted, and payment is required at that time. Someone else may purchase for you, but they will need a copy of your HUID or your government-issued photo ID, and will need to know your exact school, degree (ALB or ALM), height, and weight to do so.
For questions about your order, please contact the Harvard Coop at email@example.com
Registration & Guest Tickets
All graduates are required to register in advance to participate in the University-wide Morning Exercises and the HES Commencement Ceremony and receive guest tickets to both ceremonies. Tickets are required for guests attending the University Morning Exercises and HES Commencement Ceremony. Graduates receive two (2) guest tickets to each ceremony.
Due to the number of graduates this year, extra tickets are not available. Children two (2) years old and under that can sit on the lap of an adult for the duration of the ceremonies do not require tickets.
Registration and ticket ordering closed on April 14. If you registered to attend the Commencement ceremony, you may access your guest tickets for the Harvard Extension School Commencement Ceremony as follows:
- University-wide Morning Exercises: Graduates will receive paper tickets for guests at ticket pick-up. Ticket pick-up will begin Monday, May 22, the week of Commencement.
- HES Commencement Ceremony: Graduates will receive digital tickets for guests to download or print via MarchingOrder (https://harvarddce.marchingorder.com/#/). Sign in using the email address on file with HES.
Ticket and Lanyard Pick-Up Information:
- All graduates need to pick up their guest tickets for the Morning Exercises and Commencement Lanyard in person. Graduates need their lanyard to participate in Commencement ceremonies.
- Commencement tickets for the University wide Morning Exercises will not be mailed.
- Tickets may be picked up by ONLY the graduate. Tickets may not be picked up by a proxy (friends, family, fellow graduates, etc.). You will need your Harvard University ID (HUID), or a government issued photo ID to pick up your tickets.
Ticket and Lanyard Pick-Up Address and Hours:
Harvard Extension School, 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
- Monday, May 22: 10 AM to 6 PM
- Tuesday, May 23: 10 AM to 6 PM
- Wednesday, May 24: 10 AM to 6 PM
- Thursday, May 25: 6:15 AM in the Harvard Museum of Natural History Courtyard, 26 Oxford Street
All Commencement events will be fully accessible. Accessibility requests for graduates and their guests can be made through the ticket request process outlined above.
Planning Ahead With Your Guests
The Morning Commencement Exercises are always crowded with over 30,000 people in Harvard Yard. Please be sure that your guests are well prepared for what can be less than optimal conditions: the ceremony is held outdoors (rain or shine); tickets allow access into Harvard Yard, but seats are not guaranteed; neither large bags nor strollers are allowed in Tercentenary Theatre for the Morning Exercises (or at the HES Ceremony).
On-Campus Simulcast Options
For guests without tickets, the Morning Commencement Exercises can be viewed live in the Science Center. The Science Center is also ideal option if your guests are looking for a more comfortable viewing space. The rooms are air conditioned, there is plenty of seating, and there is easy access to restrooms.
Viewing of the University Morning Exercises will also be available via live web streaming on www.harvard.edu.
Out-of-town graduates and guests should book their accommodations now.
A list of local hotels can be found on the Hotels page on the Harvard University Commencement Office website. Please note the University does not endorse these hotels and has provided this list as a courtesy.
Graduates and guests who will require a visa to attend Commencement should begin the application process as soon as possible. Please contact your academic advisor if you or your guests require a letter of support. Requests for visa support letters should be sent to your advisor or to this mailbox (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 30, 2023.
You need your Harvard ID card or a valid government-issued photo ID to pick up your tickets, regalia, and a lanyard which will allow you access to Harvard Yard for the Commencement ceremony.