Under Massachusetts law, if you are an active degree candidate who is registered three-quarter time (12 credits) or more per term, you must participate in a qualifying student health insurance plan or in a health plan with comparable coverage.
Courses taken during the January term are counted toward the total number of credits for spring term.
If you have alternate coverage that is comparable, you may be eligible to waive Harvard University Student Health Program (HUSHP).
If you meet the above criteria, you are automatically enrolled in and billed for HUSHP, which includes:
- A student health fee: This fee covers most services at Harvard University Health Services (HUHS), including internal medicine, medical/surgical specialty care, mental health/counseling services, physical therapy, radiology, and urgent care.
- A student health insurance plan: Provides hospital, specialty care coverage, and prescription drug coverage administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS). Coverage includes emergency room visits, hospitalizations, diagnostic lab/radiology services, ambulatory surgery, specialty care outside HUHS (limited), and prescription drug coverage.
The 2021-22 health plan rate is $2,641 each term.
If you are registered in fewer than 12 credits per term, you are not eligible to enroll in HUSHP.
- Fall term: August 1, 2021 to January 31, 2022
- Spring term: February 1, 2022 to July 31, 2022
Newly Admitted Degree Candidates
If you are registered three-quarter time or more during the term in which you are admitted to your program, you are subject to the health insurance requirement and will be automatically enrolled in and billed for HUSHP.
If you have alternate coverage that is comparable, you may be eligible to waive HUSHP (see below for deadlines).
Spouses and children are also eligible for coverage if you are enrolled in HUSHP. Dependent enrollment is not automatic and must be renewed each term. To enroll a dependent(s) submit the Student Health Plan Dependent Enrollment form, along with the appropriate documentation and payment, to Student Financial Services by the applicable enrollment deadline:
- Fall term: Thursday, August 26, 2021
- Spring term: Thursday, January 20, 2022
To waive the insurance, you must have comparable coverage. See the waiver checklist on the HUSHP website to determine your eligibility. You must submit your waiver through Extension School MyDCE before the deadlines:
- Fall term: Tuesday, September 7, 2021
- Spring term: Monday, January 31, 2022
Dropping Below Three-Quarter Time
If you drop below three-quarter time, your HUSHP coverage will be canceled on:
- Fall term: Monday, September 27, 2021
- Spring term: Friday, February 25, 2022
Charges will be prorated from the beginning of the coverage period, August 1, for the fall term and February 1 for the spring term.
All covered dependents’ policies will be canceled on the same date as the student’s policy.
Harvard University Health Services reserves the right to bill for any services provided when the HUSHP coverage was not in effect.
For complete coverage information, see the HUSHP website.
For benefit inquiries:
Harvard University Student Health Program
75 Mt. Auburn Street, Floor 1
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 495-2008
For enrollment and waiver inquiries:
Harvard University Extension School
Student Financial Services
51 Brattle Street, Floor 1
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 495-4293