Skip to content

Coronavirus Updates: See latest COVID-19 news from Harvard Extension School.

Enrollment Policies for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate and Graduate Credit Courses

In courses available for both undergraduate and graduate credit at the Extension School, you should enroll for undergraduate credit. However, if a course is only available for graduate credit, it can count toward your degree. All coursework completed at the Harvard Extension and Harvard Summer Schools counts toward your degree, regardless of credit level.

Online Academic Progress Reports

Once admitted, you are required to review your personalized academic progress reports posted to the ALB/ALM Community available via MyDCE; they are updated after each term. If you fail to track your remaining degree requirements, you might need to take extra courses and delay graduation.

Maximum Enrollment

You can register for up to 16 credits in fall and spring, four credits in the January session, four credits in Harvard Summer School three-week sessions, and eight credits in Harvard Summer School seven-week sessions. You may seek approval to register for a maximum of 20 credits in a fall or spring term by submitting a course overload petition (there is no overload option for January or summer sessions).

Complete 128 Credits to Graduate

You must complete a total of 128 degree-applicable credits, with a minimum of 64 credits at Harvard, with required grades, meet the required GPA, and fulfill all degree requirements to graduate. 

Two-Credit Courses

Two-credit courses are considered half courses. If you complete a two-credit course and you need full course credit toward an ALB requirement (e.g., to fulfill residency), you’ll need to complete a second two-credit course. It is highly recommended that you complete the pair of two-credit courses in one academic year, as a second two-credit course in that requirement area may not be offered the following year. 

Harvard Extension School Undergraduate Candidates Beginning Admission Courses for a Master of Liberal Arts

If you want to begin taking graduate-level courses required for admission to one of the Extension School graduate programs while you are still in the Undergraduate Program, you must receive approval by August 1 for the fall term, January 1 for spring, and May 1 for summer (e-mail

You need to be within 16 credits of graduation. You may complete a maximum of three courses toward graduate admission by earning grades of B or higher.

If you do not receive approval or if you earn WD or letter grades below B, the courses will count toward your undergraduate degree. Courses do not count toward both programs.

Duplicate Subject Matter and Lower-level Coursework

Degree credit is not awarded for any course that duplicates the subject matter of a previous course for which credit has already been received. Additionally, if you have already taken a more advanced course in a subject, credit will not be given for an elementary course taken in the same subject. Transfer credit that has already been awarded is removed if at any point you complete a duplicate course at Harvard.

Repeat Courses

Degree credit is not awarded for a repeat course.

Repeat courses are identified by their subject and course number (for example, MGMT E-4000 Organizational Behavior and MGMT S-4000 Organizational Behavior are the same courses) and occasionally by a notation in the course description (for example, “Students may not take both ECON E-1600 and ECON S-1615 for degree or certificate credit”).

You may not repeat a course to earned degree credit or improve your grade point average (GPA). A repeated course will appear on your transcript in brackets and will not count toward the degree or your GPA unless a failing grade is earned.

The only exception is if you need to repeat a required course because you earned a grade below the minimum and there are no alternative courses to choose (e.g., EXPO 25), both grades count toward the GPA and you have only two attempts to earn the required grade (a withdrawal/WD grade counts as an attempt).

Considering an ALM degree after earning your ALB? If so, you need to be aware that degree credit is not awarded for a course for which undergraduate or graduate credit has already been received.

If you complete a course at the undergraduate level with us here at Harvard–regardless of the passing grade earned–you cannot repeat that same course for graduate credit. We advise you to choose courses carefully and specifically refrain from completing ALM preadmission courses at the undergraduate level.

Transfer Credits Earned While a Degree Candidate

After admission to the degree program, submit a transfer credit petition to the Undergraduate Degree Program Office before registering in any course whose credit you wish to transfer to your Harvard degree. You may not exceed a total of 64 transfer credits and you may not receive transfer credit in your last semester before graduation.

Dual Enrollment

You cannot be simultaneously enrolled as a candidate in another undergraduate degree granting program outside of Harvard Extension School. Dual enrollment is grounds for dismissal from the undergraduate program.

Native Language

Degree credit is not awarded for foreign language courses in your native language.

Inactive and Candidacy Expired Status

Continuous enrollment is critical to successful degree completion. If you do not enroll in courses for academic credit for one year (fall and spring), your candidate status becomes inactive. Inactive candidates lose many degree privileges, including ID card and Harvard e-mail account privileges.

If you do not enroll in courses for academic credit for five consecutive years, your candidacy expires and you are withdrawn from the undergraduate program. Your transcript will reflect this new status: CE (candidacy expired).

Returning from CE Status

If you choose to return to the undergraduate program after your candidacy has expired, you first need to contact the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Program Administration to confirm your remaining requirements and receive course registration advising. Then, you need to meet any new admission course and GPA requirements. If already met, you are required to complete at least one Harvard course with a grade of B or higher. Finally, you petition for readmission to the undergraduate program. Once admitted you will need to complete current degree requirements.