What You'll Learn
- Understanding of nuclear deterrence theory, the history of nuclear weapon development and proliferation, and the cold war’s impact on the arms race.
- Knowledge of the types and effects of the various types of delivery systems and nuclear arms, such as intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) and submarine-launched ballistic missiles.
- Insight into past and current international relations’ frameworks, nuclear security policies in the US and other nation–states in the post-Cold War era, and the changing context of global conflict.
Certificates are the fastest-growing post-secondary credential in the United States. Learn how to get started, track your progress, and successfully earn a certificate.
Pursued Certificate to Deepen Expertise or Advance Career
Working Full Time
Applied Certificate to ALM Degree
Would Recommend Certificate
Earning Your Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete the four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in Nuclear Deterrence requires four courses:
- History of the Cold War (required)
- Nuclear Weapons and International Security (required)
- Origins and Evolution of Deterrence Theory (required)
- International security elective (choose one course from select group)
Recommended Course Path: We recommend completing the three required courses in the order listed above, when possible. Your elective course may be taken at any point in your certificate studies.
Ready to take the next step?
You can enroll in your first course in the:
See the schedules in the academic calendar.
Search For Courses
To find courses that apply toward the certificate use DCE Course Search and Registration:
- Scroll through the search filters to “Courses in a Graduate Certificate.”
- Choose “Nuclear Deterrence Certificate” to explore program courses.
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2021–22 rate)||$2,980 per 4-credit course ($745 per credit)|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$11,920|