What You'll Learn
In this professional graduate certificate, you will take a biosocial approach to understanding human health, healthcare, and public health systems. You will examine biological, social, psychological, and philosophical aspects of disease, pandemics, and medical care. Additionally, you will explore ways to address systemic inequities and improve policy and business practices.
- Explore how structural social inequalities influence health practices, outcomes, and decision making, and gain tools and strategies for advancing health justice
- Understand the multifaceted effects of disease on an organism through the lens of epidemiology, immunology, physiology, or neurology
- Analyze historical and current public health policies, particularly during times of crisis
- Understand the impact of epidemics on society, research, business, and economies
The liberal arts graduate certificate Health and Society requires four courses. You may choose from the following course groups, using the certificate course search:
- Human Health (choose one course from select group)
- Society (choose one course from select group)
- Electives (choose two courses from select group)
Courses taken before the 2020-2021 academic year do not apply toward this certificate.
Search for Courses
You can browse courses by term — fall, spring, or summer — in the DCE Course Search & Registration platform.
Earning Your Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete 16 certificate credits at the graduate level.
- This can be accomplished by completing three 4-credit certificate courses and two 2-credit certificate courses, or four 4-credit certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
Students should have a background in basic biology at the level of BIOS 1A, or equivalent.
Affordability is core to our mission. When compared to our continuing education peers, it’s a fraction of the cost.
|Our Tuition (2023–24 rate)||$3,220 per course|
|Average Tuition of Peer Institutions||$5,476 per course|
|Average Total Cost||$12,880|