Overview & Benefits of the Premedical Program
In the Premedical Program, you’ll take challenging core science courses, many of which are taught by Harvard University faculty. And you’ll have the opportunity to enroll in clinically relevant electives.
Through either the premedical or pre-physician assistant (physician associate) track, you’ll develop the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in professional school and demonstrate your competency to admissions committees.
Individualized curriculum to help you become a competitive applicant
Personalized advising on course selection, the application process, & sponsorship
Harvard faculty from such schools as the Medical School & School of Dental Medicine
Flexible course schedules for the part-time student
Clinical & research opportunities
Engaged peer community & Harvard alumni network
The Premedical Program offers two tracks:
|Track||Prepares you for application to:||Course format:|
|Premedical Program Track||
|Pre-Physician Assistant Track||Physician assistant (associate) program||
We’ll work with you to create a customized course curriculum to meet your academic needs based on:
- Your chosen curriculum track
- An assessment of the courses you took as part of your undergraduate degree
- The courses you’ll need to fill gaps and complete prerequisites.
Most students take a mix of core courses and electives in biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and math.
Watch Our Information Session
Learn more about the Premedical Program from our program administrators and a current student in our recorded information session.
Our faculty come from across Harvard University, including Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and the TH Chan School of Public Health.
Our Student Community
Graduates of the Premedical Program have been accepted into—and graduated from—top medical and dental schools across the United States, including Brown University, Emory University, Johns Hopkins, and Weill Cornell Medical College.
As a student, you'll engage with peers and faculty regularly in class and weekly gatherings. After you complete the program, you’ll join the global network of the Harvard Alumni Association after completing the program.
Learn more about our students in the Premedical Program Fast Facts sheet.
Check out the full list of program benefits.
Average # of years between undergrad degree earned and program admission
Have healthcare work experience
Average # of years to program completion
The weekly clinician chats are excellent opportunities to connect with physicians in the Boston area and gain exposure to the various paths in medicine one can take.
Cost & Aid
The total cost of the program will depend on how many courses (credits) you need to complete the requirements of your chosen programs and schools.
- Course tuition: Our 2023–24 tuition for a 4-credit undergraduate course is $2,040.
- Financial aid: After admission, you may qualify for federal aid. Typically, eligible students receive grant funds to cover a portion of tuition costs each term, in addition to federal financial aid options.
- Reduced Harvard Summer School tuition: You’ll pay Harvard Extension School tuition rates for Summer School courses as a student in the program.
- Payment plan: Program participants may be eligible to enroll in an interest-free payment plan for fall, spring, and summer tuition.
Admission to the Premedical Program
Students in the postbaccalaureate Premedical Program are chosen through a selective application process. The application process is the same for all students interested in pursuing medical school, physician assistant school, dental school, and veterinary school.
You are eligible to apply if you meet the following criteria:
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Are a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Have English language proficiency.
Applications for the Premedical Program are accepted between February 1 and May 1.